The mental health of our children is an important concern for us all. The fact is, many mental disorders have their beginnings in childhood or adolescence, yet may go undiagnosed and untreated for years.
Emotional disorder is a mental disorder that greatly disturbs one’s emotions. Brain abnormalities are not the reason for Emotional difficulties in children. Here, emotions and thoughts are adversely affected. There are psychological changes in child’s mind.
Emotional difficulties in children is a condition showing multiple symptoms over a long period of time that it starts affecting their studies, social skills and interest in normal routine.
- An inability to learn – Unable to recall things learnt recently
- Lack in building satisfactory interpersonal relationships with friends, family members and teachers.
- Inappropriate behavior or feelings under normal circumstances.
- Persistently staying unhappy or depressed.
- A tendency to develop physical symptoms or fears associated with personal or school problems
Symptoms in children with emotional difficulties
- Exam Phobia
These emotional difficulties further lead to some specific conditions:
- anxiety disorders
- bipolar disorder (sometimes called manic-depression)
- conduct disorders
- eating disorders
- obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD)
- psychotic disorders